Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Diet for Controlling Mouth Ulcers in Behcet's Disease

If it is at all possible, for all intents and purposes, you must eat only organic food.

I am completely crippled by food additives, food dyes, food chemicals, pesticides, MSG, growth hormone, in short, by just about everything you find in an average item for sale in an average grocery store.  When I ingest these things that we were never intended to ingest (but we're talking about a multi-billion dollar food industry - and what do they care?), I suffer.

The worst offender seems to be food dyes, found in everything.  Seriously.  Everything.  Unless you're eating 100% organic, there is food dye involved.  For me, if I don't consume things with food dyes, I don't get as many painful mouth ulcers.  Its an adequate trade off.  Next is anything chemically engineered, like corn sugar syrup, found in a surprising amount of items.  Chemicals must not take the place of food, i.e., Sweet and Low will make me sick, sugar, less so.  But sugar seems to also bother me, so I limit my intake. 

I really have eliminated so many things from my diet that in the last year, I've lost twenty-five pounds.  That's not a bad thing.  Behcet's Disease can attack the digestive tract.  I lost twelve inches of my colon, so I know what I'm talking about. 

Experiment.  Experiment constantly.  Eliminate.  Even the things you love.  Who knew that the thing I would miss the very most is the bag of penny candy my husband used to surprise me with. 

For two weeks I recommend the following:

1.  Buy only organic products.  You will be surprised at how many things aren't healthy at a health food store for Behcet's sufferers, so become  a label reader.  You will also be surprised at what a great variety of junk food is available for us that falls under the category 100% organic.  And it is actually good!

2.  Drink water.  Drink water like you're dying of thirst in the desert.  Flush all of the chemicals, additives, dyes that have built up in your body.  Think of water as a cure for Behcet's (it's not, but I want you to think of it as such).

3.  Get a little exercise.  Go for a walk.  I know about the fatigue and the pain, but actually, start small.  Walk around the block.  Walk around two blocks.  Force yourself.  I got a dog.  She forces me. 

4.  Don't eat in restaurants.  I think in the city where I live, there are probably two hundred great restaurants.  I can eat in about six of them.  So don't eat in restaurants for two weeks and see if you feel better.  All food industries use items that are really not good for Behcet's sufferers.  And don't east FAST FOOD.  It's terribly full of terrible things.

5.  Substitute good things for bad.  I know Oreo cookies will wreak havoc with me.  Organic Newman O's will not!  I used to love red licorice.  (Still do - but avoid it --- red dye!).  Buy organic licorice and learn to love the taste.  It's actually pretty good. 

6.  Use Common Sense.  I know that the box of cookies, cupcake, candy bar will satisfy deep sugar cravings and make me happy for a minute; but I also know that in the next few days, I will suffer miserable pain from mouth ulcers, and it will be days before I'll even feel like talking, much less eating.

7.  Believe that diet plays an important role in relieving symptoms.  There is very little research on it, but I can tell you that its true.  My husband is a great, and completely sympathetic cook.  I have been much healthier since I've changed my diet.

8.  If you don't cook, don't fret.  Buy a vegetable steamer.  It's easy to wash off a few beans, brussel sprouts, carrots, celery, (all organic of course) and throw them in a steamer.  Add an inch of water to a pan, put in the steamer, cover, and steam for 15 minutes.  You'll have a nice meal.  Anyone can bake a potato.  Anyone can pan fry a steak, or a hamburger.  As long as it's organic, you'll be feeling much better very shortly.

9.  There are organic versions of just about everything.  Read the labels.  Look for the ones that say 100% organic - they are the best.  If it doesn't say that, read the label and make note of the chemicals.  If a food item bothers you, eliminate it altogether.

10.  Learn how to recognize the things that are going to trigger your pain and misery.  Unfortunately for me, its just about everything.....and my willpower sometimes isn't that great.  So I eat a gummy bear.  I said "a" gummy bear.  It's not going to kill me, I can generally get away with it without triggering symptoms and I know I have to stop at one.  Don't beat yourself up if you stuff your face with the worst things in the world because you just can't help it.  Your disease will remind you and you will come to find that eating a carrot or an apple may not be the most satisfying thing, but those painful ulcers will stay the hell away.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Relatively knew to the concept of Behcets and yet to get a real & official diagnosis. Originally thought it was AS. Who knows to be honest. I've seen more Drs that Christmas's.
    I am curious to understand the frequency of the ulcers, mine are isolated to mouth only.
    Thank you for your insightful blog, its helping me understand that I may or (hopefully) may not have BD.

    Thanks and keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete