Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Introducing Behcet's Disease - The Guest No One Invites

There is surprisingly small amounts of information available regarding Behcet's Disease, an autoimmune disorder whereby the immune system attacks the body.  This is because there are a very small number of people who have this disease.

I was diagnosed with Behcet's Disease four years ago.  I had suffered with symptoms for two years prior to being diagnosed, mainly because I had an internist who refused to believe I had anything as rare as this condition.  There isn't one simple test for the disease, it is diagnosed by a combination of symptoms which can occur all at once, or singularly.

In this first post, I would like to tell anyone suffering from, or interacting with a person with Behcet's Disease that they purchase the book "Essential Guide to Behcet's Disease", written and complied by Joanne Zeis.  It is the best information I have found yet.  It is lacking in dietary information, which I have found plays a huge role in my own health and my autoimmune responses.  I intend to state, here, what works for me.  I don't know if it will work for anyone else.

WHAT IS BEHCET'S?

BEHCET'S DISEASE IS A RARE AND CHRONIC MULTISYSTEM DISORDER THAT CAUSES THE INFLAMMATION OF BLOOD VESSELS ANYWHERE IN THE BODY.  THIS INFLAMMATION IS KNOWN AS VASCULITIS.  FOR THE MOST PART, THE LOCATION OF THE INFLAMMATION(S) IS WHAT DICTATES A PATIENT'S SYMPTOMS.  THE MOST COMMON SYMPTOMS INCLUDE APHTHOUS ULCERS OF THE MOUTH AND GENITALS, ALONG WITH UVEITIS (A FORM OF EYE INFLAMMATION).

Behcet's Disease typically starts when patients are in their 20s and 30s, but it has been seen in all ages from infants to the elderly.

Behcet's Disease is a long-term, unpredictable, and cyclical disease that comes and goes in "flares" of varying intensities.  There may be symptom-free periods of weeks or months that are interrupted by flares lasting a few days, weeks, or months.  in this cyclical sense, Behcet's is much like multiple sclerosis or lupus.  Some people can be hospitalized at times with the more serious complications of Behcet's Disease, but there are also occasional reports of people who go into permanent remission.  As you can see, it's all very uncertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment