Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Getting Sick and Having Behcet's Disease

I have a very bad cold.  Hence, my mouth is full of ulcers because my health is otherwise compromised.  Add to this, I broke a tooth and can't go to the dentist until the ulcers are healed.  Thank God for steroid mouth rinse.  I think I can safely get into my dentist's office by the end of the week.

When you have Behcet's Disease, and your health becomes compromised some other way, it is almost certain your Behcet's Disease will flare.  At least, that's been my experience.

It is important to eat right, get plenty of rest, drink tons of water, and avoid sick people if you suffer Behcet's Disease.  It's not really funny how touchy our health becomes when we have this disease.  A simple thing like a cold virus can virtually flatten us.  I spent all day in bed on Monday, too weak to participate in life.  I was also in a great deal of pain, because coughing, with mouth ulcers, hurts.  A lot.

At any rate, people who have been diagnosed with Behcet's Disease should take extra care to keep themselves healthy, and keep unhealthy people away from them.  And, in my particular case, I pushed myself to help a friend paint a huge room, spending three days balancing on a ladder.  This did me no good and exhausted me, despite the fact that I limited my involvement to about four hours per day.  The room is beautiful.  Me, not so much. 

I get very resentful sometimes with this disease.  I am disgusted that my life is dictated by this disease.  But I can't change that.  I can change how I live, which means understanding what my limitations are.  That has been my biggest challenge, because I always want to do more, go more places, have more fun.  Alas, it just isn't possible anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment